bringing the wild to life

bringing the wild to life

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Brotherly Love part 2: Building the mane


Painting a lion's mane is a very arduos task taking many layers and tones to create a worthwhile effect. With Tonji's mane I worked with a limited palette and many fine strokes layed lightly one over the other to build depth. When working in pastel I find that a soft touch is very beneficial as it allows me a great scope for detail.

In the following photo you can see how i've used those strokes to build the textures and work with the strong light.

With Tonji's mane under control fot the time being I moved back over to Tombo and began sculpting his paw. The thing I learned while working on these boys was that if I left one of them for too long they got impatient.


No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker